A relaxing corner-shop in the mist of the ever-busy internet

November 2, 2010

Tenchou's review- Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai 5

These eyes~cry every night, for you

So after leaving viewers off with a bit of a cliffhanger last week, we get to see both the conflict and resolution to Ayase x Kirino. Now before I go in deeper, I have to stress I did not read the light novel as I can't read Japanese unfortunately, so I'm not sure how this arc actually played out in the LN. However, from what I can feel from the anime, this arc was rushed, a lot of things seems to have happened in the background, and details were left out.

Starting off with Ayase, her reactions were far too harsh and seems forced. This isn't some random friend we are talking about, this is a best friend and sometimes you just have to take them as they are, and going so far as calling her a "fake" is seems too harsh without proper background. (Upon reading up a bit on other forums I now know the reasons- She's a the daughter of the local PTA and have been pretty much brainwashed with anti-otaku ideals, which make sense. However, the lack of this in the anime really fail to drill this point to home in my opinion). With that said, the ending message to Kyosuke redeem quite a few points in my book for Ayase!

Now the next point is the "past", the viewers were always under the impressions that Kyosuke was the one who got shoved aside and ignored by her cute little sister, but it seems that is not the case from Kirino's standpoint. Her outburst during the fight they had in the episode really surprised me as I thought of her of being more selfish and ignorant for no reason, it turns out there might actually be some interesting backstory to this relationship. It remains to be seen what flag this might trigger but my guess would be: Kyosuke didn't complement her on a test/event where she did well, either due to inferiority complex or negligence, Kirino then inspired to become good at everything so her brother would complement her, but Kyosuke felt inferior and started to distance himself. Her siscon also comes from wanting attention from her brother, a relatively cliche backstory but I don't think it would be much more complex than that.

How can I end this episode's review without mentioning the dad, definitely redeemed a lot of his points this episode with his research into the siscaly incident. I was under the impression that he knew Kyosuke was lying about the eroge and chose to accept the lie since he tried so hard to protect his sister. From the episode it seems he really thinks Kyosuke owns all those eroge, unfortunate for Kyosuke but it seems the dad is understanding enough to keep a relatively open-minded on this issue.

It goes without saying- the development between Kirino and Kyosuke will be interesting, the interest definitely increased after the outburst their past this episode, and how Kyosuke is truly bronificent and basically taking every abuse possible for Kirino's sake, a true bro-suke sort to speak. That will be taking a backseat though for next episode, as the title "There's no way my childhood friend is this cute!" indicates. Although I'm not a big fan of her, it'll be good to see kyosuke relaxing and not take any abuse for an episode, and enjoy what he really deserve.

Ah...before I forget, the above screencap is taken from Random Curiosity, I'm lazy and don't like to make screencaps. They always make a crap ton for their review so "borrowed" one of them, and of course giving credits to whoever makes these screencaps. Their reviews are usually pretty good as well so check them out if you have the time, if you haven't already @: Random Curiosity 

No comments: