A relaxing corner-shop in the mist of the ever-busy internet

November 9, 2010

Tenchou's review- Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai 6

Darling, do you want dinner first, bath, or...me?

What a change of pace for OreImo! The first five episode has been following the "obstacle of the week" for Kirino and display the sheer bro-ness of Kyosuke. This week, however, we get to see what Kyosuke really deserve- a relaxing, comedic-yet-loving family, along with a mild-manner waifu, who can also be bold at times to drag Kyosuke along. Speaking of which, what is with the mild-mannered girls being so bold in anime nowadays? First it was the super-shy Sae who tries so hard to impress Jun'ichi, and tries so hard to keep his attention; now we have Manami with the fail-attempt at lap-pillow, then the bath-stunt she pulls this episode. I'm used to seeing the old-school mild-mannered girls who can't express her mind and annoys me to no-end, and I realize I'm super-weak against these new ones who tries so hard, can't help but root for her.

Manami's grandpa is absolutely delightful, from his "drop-dead" awesome introduction(^_^) onwards this grandpa is nothing short of the most entertaining character this episode. His meddling in Kyosuke and Manami's relationship really sets the pace for this episode, and although I was not expecting this episode since it differs so much from the first five, I find it nonetheless entertaining and fun to enjoy. There was not much actual development between Kyosuke and Manami, but this definitely sets the foundation for us viewers as we now know they are really at the stage where they are not friends but just a bit short of lovers (I always had the impression they are simply childhood friends, and Manami has a crush on Kyosuke, boy was I wrong), and of course, it also sets the foundation of what I would argue the final flag for KyoXMana.

Now switching gear back to Kirino, it seems I underestimated the Tsundere-ness of Kirino. I mean, I knew she falls into that type, but it never occured to me she's that high on the Tsundere scale. The outburst in episode 5 along with her behaviour this episode when Kyosuke is gone solidify her as a classic Tsundere, which is both good and bad; good because my Moe just happens to be Tsundere- it's "super-effective" against me; bad because I would like to see more characters that don't fit the general arch-type mold as it brings more surprises to the viewers, such as the mild-yet-bold girls I mentioned above. Also, the Kirino fan service this week is pretty good but it might have been a tad overboard, one(1) service-shot a week is good enough, but we were treated to two shots this week, including a bath one which should equal to way more than one service-shot, but hell sex sells so what do I know? Lastly, I think I say this for like all my reviews, but the title of next episode- "There's no way my sister will write a novel." has me intrigued, definitely looking forward to next episode!

As always, screencap from Random Curiosity, thanks!

No comments: