A relaxing corner-shop in the mist of the ever-busy internet

November 15, 2010

Tenchou's review- Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai 7

Ranka-cha--wait, wrong anime -_-

Here we go again with another episode of OreImo, and once again we return to our (beloved?) main heroine Kirino. Using novel writing as the underlying plot, this week's episode seem to have covered two separate events- one being the Meruru screening with Kuroneko, the other being the Christmas Eve date. I felt it the two events were somewhat disjointed even though it really belonged in the same main plot, maybe because the transition (Kirino's Imouto Planet being recognized online) was done poorly, or maybe the underlying plot just wasn't very strong, but I almost felt that I was watching two different stories in the same episode, kind of like how 4koma anime seens disjointed between transition. Anyways, it was not to say that it was not enjoyable, but certainly it felt different than the previous episodes where transition was a lot smoother, or they simply covered one big event.

The Meruru screening was pretty entertaining, we get to see more Kiri x Kuro action and the clashes between the two are never boring. It's pretty funny, and somewhat disturbing, that they would model each other as sex slaves and rape victims in each other's novel; I mean, I have some people I (dis)like but I don't think I have the guts to do such a thing. I felt bad for Kyosuke and Saori always getting stuck in the middle of these two tsunderes, but I guess that's what makes it more interesting. Also, it was pretty funny to see Kyosuke's reaction to the DVD "specials"- "Ya...this is...kinda dangerous..." On that topic, I have some beef with the anime studios- What is with all these Ecchi bullcrap all over the place? Samurai girl? Qweser? It seems everyone is joining in the moe-ecchi fanservice crap and blur out the "goods", then sell the DVD/Blu version with uncensored. I mean, it is a great way to make money and no doubt profitable, but seriously it really lowers the quality of the anime, AND the characters. Fanservices shots like panty/bath scenes used to be like gold for the fans, as the heroines have some dignity and would not go around naked across town; we used to have some respect for these female characters, and those that want their desire fill would turn to Doujinshis. Nowadays it seems more and more anime features some heroine getting stripdown from battles, accidents or sometimes no reason at all. I am a fan of fan service, I do like Ikkitousen for all it's worth, and I don't mind an ecchi harem series, but having more than one a season seems excessive to me already, having multiple of these every season just grinds my gear. I like ecchi, but I also watch anime for stories, for drama, for PLOT, things that North America TV show severely lacks, I don't want to watch ONLY ecchi shows, some days I rather turn on the TV and watch Seinfield than sit through another episode of girls fighting till their clothes get torn off.

Back to the episode after that little outburst (-_-), the second half of the episode was pretty cute as we see Kirino's serious mode, but still retains her tsundere-ness. I was surprised, and a bit shock to see Kyosuke completely clueless that Kirino wants a Christmas gift from him when she told him to buy the ring. I mean...yes she's a total bitch to you until recently, and still a half bitch to you now; yes she is rich and doesn't need anything; yes she never ever wanted you to spoiled her after your relationship went south, but seriously though, Kyosuke is one of the most perceptive guy in the story, and his quick wits with his observation is one of the reasons why this series is entertaining, for him to completely miss this after Kirino asked him not once but twice to buy her a gift? I find this dense behaviour WAY too convenient and it felt to me it's setting up for some kind of flag. I would not want to see this turn into a Siscon and had given the writers the benefit of the doubt so far, but this along with "I had no idea what was about to happened..." just bugs the crap out of me. I sincerely hope that this is a bonding flag and not a siscon flag, otherwise I might go apeshit on somebody.

I don't really get the next episode's title "There's no way my little sister could get an anime", does that mean she's going to be a character in an anime, or her novel is getting adapted into an anime (ero)? I am a bit confused, but again, I always look forward to another episode of OreImo!

Once again, the screencap came from Random Curiosity, if you haven't already, you should check them out for more anime blog-age! (For one thing, they cover more than one series....haha)

No comments: