A relaxing corner-shop in the mist of the ever-busy internet

December 21, 2010

Tenchou's review- Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai Good End

She obviously took Tsundere 101

TV season is over! It's finally done!

Now the question is- Should I do a series review? The season is over BUT it's actually not, if you have been following the official announcement you would know one thing: The anime has two endings, Good end and True End. Good End if what we just got in Ep12, anime original; True End is supposed to be what really happen, all the way up to vol.5. So....it's over but not over. Screw it, I'll do two series review for this anime, I hate you Kirino.

Overall rating (out of 10 Eroges): 8
Recommended for: Comedy, Slice-of-Life, Otaku-life, Lolicon , Siscon
Do not read past this point if you intend to watch this series, as there will be spoilers, you have been warned.

Alright, let's get to work.

This was an enjoyable series. There is no doubt about it, I absolutely enjoyed the series. I was a bit skeptical at first when I heard the name of the series; I mean, it just smells like a lolicon/siscon anime focused on loli fanservice. I was wrong, the first episode was exceptionally funny for when compared to recent anime, Kyosuke's reaction to his sister's hobby was realistic and hilarious and at first I had no doubt this was going to be the best series of the season.  The few episodes that followed were just as good as they explored Kirino's adventures, her new friends, her blunders, and her first comiket. The interactions between the characters were realistic and the problems were trivial but interesting (except the dad one). The involvement from Kyosuke was also amazing as he took a crap ton for the team, and by team I mean Kirino. The series though, took a turn for the worse when it hit ep 7.

Both 7 and 8 were definitely the low point of the series, both episodes were incredibly disjointed and unorganized. The story was poorly written and at one point I was debating whether or not to change this from episode review to series review. Later on I found out that the story was completely butchered by the animation team and the events that happened was so poorly placed it deserved to be burned. To say that 7 and 8 were the Achilles' Heel of this series is an understatement, but luckily the series picked up again at 9 and finished pretty strong with 12.

9 and 10 were pretty much on side-characters like Ayase and Kuroneko, which was actually pretty good as Kirino had basically garner nothing but hate from 1-8. To be honest though, the creepiness of 9 was still a huge negative for Kirino but its better for random outburst of unnecessary violence towards our Brosuke. Oh, and Kyosuke still ended up being kicked in the face in 10, although definitely well-deserved for what he tried to pull.

11 and 12 saw a 180 degree turnaround from Kirino as she went from 99.9% Tsun tsun to 50% tsun tsun. She showed an incredible deredere side in 11 and continued onto 12. Although 11 was quite disjointed as well it was not unenjoyable like 7 and 8, not to mention Brosuke deserved no less than dere-Kirino after all the crap he's been through. I don't know about you, but both episodes redeemed a lot of points for Kirino as she finally show her big-brother-please-spoil-me side, sadly she was way the hell in the red from 1-8 (9) so she's haven't really broke even in my book.

The biggest problem I have with this series is the issue with siscon. I mentioned at the start I thought, after episode one, this was going to be something other than a siscon anime. Sadly, the anime gradually moved towards that direction. It began with the outburst with Kirino's past in ep5 I think, and it went deeper and deeper as the moe and dere-ness increased. Brosuke who had was so manly before had his work undermined by the simple siscon-like behaviour. The last two episodes definitely solidified this claim as the director seemed to want to make everyone love Kirino with overdone dere-ness, I'm just one reviewer, but I felt cheated out of a potentially good story. It may not be the director's fault at all, maybe the LN itself is heading down the siscon route, but I think it could've gone some other way.
Boku wa lolicon siscon!

For characters, I think the cast did an amazing job overall. Most of the characters were vivid and had a lot of emotions. Brosuke (Yuichi Nakamura) definitely deserved to be mentioned as well as the Tsundere father Daisuke (Fumihiko Tachiki). Kirino (Ayana Taketatsu) was as good as it gets for the Tsun parts, unfortunately the terrible emphasis on her Tsun side only by the director killed her character, meaning Ayana really couldn't voice a complete character. The two sidekicks Kuroneko was Saori were both adequate, the one-cour limited the development of the two characters so we didn't get to see more sides of them, but what we did see was very well-done in my opinion.

Now, it'll be quite awhile before we'll get to see the True End, I have no idea what to expect of it but if manage to actually stick with the story I can't imagine them screwing up too badly. Once the True End is complete I'll write up another series review..actually probably just an ending review.

I hope you enjoy this series as much as I do, I have a lot to complain about but I was also very happy with it.

Finally, I'll leave you guys with this:

Evil lurks everywhere, tempting you, don't give into the lolis evil.


Again, thanks to Random Curiosity for screencaps.

No comments: