A relaxing corner-shop in the mist of the ever-busy internet

January 7, 2011

Tenchou's rant- Rio Rainbow Gate

People were expect a 'story' to go with this? WTF?

This is about an ecchi fan service anime...I don't think I need to say this is NSFW....but I will just in case.

Alright...let me start off with a pretty picture of Rio:
Alright, let me lay down some background information on this character. Rio originated from the Tecmo video gambling game Super Blackjack as a mascot character. She was so moe and popular with the fans that she was promoted to a full-time dealer mascot for basically all Tecmo's gambling game. She got calenders, soundtrack CDs, Drama CDs and even an appearance on the Otaku friendly Dead or Alive Paradise, basically the PSP port of the 360's Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.


Recently, she got her own midnight anime, animated by Xebec. I for one was excited beyond belief as Rio is one of my favorite characters because she's super moe and sexy. The first episode was recently released and stirred some discussions on several anime boards I frequented. There seemed to be a lot of people claiming this anime had no depth, no story and poorly done. I perfectly agree with the no depth and no story, because frankly, it really wasn't suppose to have one. This girl is a mascot character for a gambling game, it's not a well-designed character with any background story, its a character that was designed solely to attract people to play the game. The anime, serve one purpose: To provide Rio fan services for Rio fans, and maybe, just maybe, attract some new Rio fans for future Rio products. From the Promotional video months ago one should already see this anime has zero depth, the entire PV was basically filled with Rio in different costumes and poses with a few lines in between. Coupled with the actual character background it doesn't take a damn genius to figure out that this is not the anime to watch if you want drama, suspense or any sort of story. I cannot believe anyone would use those criteria to 'rate' this anime.

In my opinion, I think this anime is damn well-done, the first episode featured Rio in a maid uniform:

In a wedding dress (with lower half torn off at the end):

Her massive juggling breast:
And even her in underwear and naked (no frontals) in several scenes (with her three size I might add):


I consider this a fan service anime success, I personally want to see episode two and onwards. The only complain I have is a art quality seemed to be lacking as several scenes Rio seemed a little deformed, and several characters also suffered similar problems. Oh right...also the ending song's stillshots were all old fan service art, too bad....Inoue Marina (Yoko, Mogami Kyoko, Alicia) did an incredible job as Rio and i absolutely loved it. This is the best brainless, non-ero, fan service episode one for awhile. Every service shot was done naturally into the anime and none of them forced like Ikkitousen GG/XX, or Samurai Girl. I cannot stress enough that Rio is not, and could never be, a character of a plot-driven anime because her fan base isn't expecting that out of her. Tecmo will never pour any resources into making a story just to put Rio in a serious drama because you can't make money like that. Rio's qualities are sexy, cute and moe, the fanbase knows it, and Tecmo knows it. Expecting a story out of Rio Rainbow Gate is like expecting an episode of Ikkitousen where noone gets their clothing tear off, or a Code Geass R2 episode with no plot twist in the first and last five minutes of every episode.

Let me leave you with a few more shots, now you tell how awesome this fan service anime is:

Ja-ne~
Screencaps were not made by me, took it randomly off the interweb. Until next time~

No comments: